Thursday, January 29, 2009

How Beautiful is Beautiful

One Sunday every month I am scheduled to work with the babies at my church – Love and Light Ministries, in Barbados – and it is advisable to wear a pants. I had bought a blouse specifically for this task as I thought it would be suitable yet fashionable. I decided to wear it one Sunday in January especially since my two boys told me how lovely I had looked in it the last time I wore it. Personally it is not the type of blouse that would be my first choice when buying but as I said the criteria was appropriate for church and fashionable.

At the end of the service as I was packing up and cleaning up a friend in church told me how lovely the blouse looked. (So that totaled at least three people who told me this.) It made me think of just what is beautiful. I know that the blouse that I was wearing was similar to what this lady will wear. So yea she will find it beautiful.

There are so many variations in this world in all categories – cars, clothes, houses, shoes, bags etc. – and all seem to have an owner. And why is this? It is because we all see beauty differently and often what we consider beautiful comes as a result of how we were socialized and our personal tastes.

So why be bound by what we see on the television or in magazines that defines beauty. That is their version of beauty that they want to push on the rest of us, just so that we can buy the product. So be bold and step out with confidence knowing that your choice in life is BEAUTIFUL!

No comments: