Tuesday, February 3, 2009

On cutting my hair

So there I was two weeks before my 41st birthday sitting in the hairdresser’s chair. My mother is calling me to ask if it is over yet and the other customer is staring at me with her mouth opened wide. I was cutting off almost all of my hair. I always had long hair and reports have always informed me that I had lovely hair. I am conservative by nature and never dared to cut off my hair or try any real styles. But it was time for change.

I was feeling pressured in a schedule of work, kids’ activity and hairdresser appointments and I was sinking. Then three people that I knew died suddenly in a space of three weeks (two just dropped down dead and one had a stroke and died a week later). Layouts were imminent at the company where I work and no one knew who will stay or who will go.

I had always wanted to try a short spiky look so I though I would go for it. Let go of the pass. Look forward to the future. As the hair fell away the hairdresser asked me if I wanted to keep it. I did not. That would be holding on to the pass so I left it all at her place.

I was a little fearful of the responses that I would get especially from those who wanted me to swear I would NEVER cut my hair. I devised phrases and countermoves to answer the attacks. Then I ventured out into the new world. I had all kinds of comments and fortunately most were good. I even got more appreciation comments than usual from the ‘guys’.

I feel powerful now as I sport my new look. I even feel more classy, beautiful and stylish. I love the look and the easy and convenience that comes with being able to handle my own hair. People think that I did it as a new look for a new year but I did it because I could.

In a way it has strengthened me for 2009 with constant reminders of the recession, lost of investments and job loses. If I could cut my hair and survive then I am ready to face 2009, of course with God’s help.

No comments: