Thursday, September 18, 2008

How I saw the Love of God in an Umbrella

I was about to set off on my morning walk when I glanced up at the sky. I usually do this because the sky offers so many lovely pictures and that morning was no different. It was a beautiful cloudly day. The clouds looked like storm clouds. It was unusally dark with the street lights still on, as the clouds hid the light of the rising sun. I was determined to continue on my exercise routine so I grabbed an umbrella that I keep close to the door.

Well into my journey a few drops started to fall. At that moment I though of how confidently I ventured out into the morning without a second thought of rain and that was because I was armed with an umbrella. Then my thoughs turned to how this umbrella was like the Love of God. I can venture out into this life without a second thought because I know that God loves me and I am assured of his protection as I take comfort from his word.

Proverbs chapter 30 verse 5 says "Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him". (King James version of the Christian Bible) and

Psalm 5:12 says
"For thou, LORD, wilt bless the righteous; with favour wilt thou compass him as with a shield." This verse gives me so much comfort.


The rain started to fall very heavily with 5 minutes left to go before I arrived home. Without losing stride, I adeptly manuver the umbrella to an open state. Athough my swinging hand got drops of rain on it I knew I was protected. This is just like my God. He shields and protects me even if life tries to splatter me with "drops" of distressing and devasting circumstances. I am assured that God will protect and I am not being hit with the full blow.

In Psalms chapter 37 and verse 25 the psalmist David said " I have been young and now am old: yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread". What more can I want. God Loves me so much that he took the time to record his promises to me so that I can be comforted daily.

By the time I arrived back home the street lamps were still shinning. At that time they would have usually gone to sleep for the day resting until they go to work at night. I was glad to be in from the rain and I was estatic that I had keep up my excercise but what made me even more happy was that God always is there with me even in the rain.

No comments: